Sunday, September 26, 2010

Anybody want a peanut?

So Thursday night I managed to screw up my lower back while at work. At the time, I knew I did something not so good but I wouldn't find out until the next day just how bad it was. It significantly reduced my mobility so I couldn't walk as fast, It made bending over more painful and in general it just hurt.

I drove back to my apartment, took a hot shower, then went to bed. The next morning, I was sore (as expected) and it took me a little longer to move around. If you haven't experienced walking around on campus at Texas State then I can't even begin to tell you how hilly it is. It's definitely not friendly towards back injuries. I make it to my first class but I have to sit in this super uncomfortable chair for 50 minutes while we watched a video on the Tennessee decomp facility (awesooooome!)

After that I get up, in a little more pain than when I started (which sucked) and hobbled out of class. As I make it out of the building, my lower back started to clench which made me stop because 1) It really hurt and 2) it started to make my legs go numb. I remember thinking "Oooh, this doesn't feel good" and I figure if I hunch over, it would help with the pain. Wrong. It got WORSE. I literally have never felt pain worse than this. I had to wait for the pain to subside before I could hobble over to a bench (which was wet because it had just finished raining) and try to wait for the pain to go away. It never really did, So I sat down, then laid down on the bench to try and ease the pain. It work for a little while but periodically my back would tense up again.

I had to get Gene to come pick me up from campus because I wouldn't have been able to climb onto the bus and I had to get Lindsay (Sam's sister) to walk from her dorm and help me off the bench because I was literally stuck laying there for about half an hour. That was the most unpleasant experience in my entire life. I don't recommend it.

I went and saw the doctor on campus, she told me I pulled a muscle and that I shouldn't do anything too hard for about a week. I made a joke about how I probably shouldn't practice for rugby either and she was like "Wow, you're not a wimp" and I laughed and said "Nope. This REALLY hurts".

I got prescribed some painkillers and muscle relaxers, both of which make me drowsy, and i've been having some interesting dreams ever since.

I'm doing a lot better now but i'm certainly not going to be 100% for a little while. If i move too fast or turn in a weird way, my body lets me know that that didn't feel good.

So that has been my weekend. Drugged up and attempting to study for my Archaeology test on wednesday. The only thing that could make this worse is if I watched almost every team I cheered for lose their games this weekend and if I saw Fergie singing the national anthem with Marc Anthony--wait. That DID happen. She is terrible and her face makes me want to puke.

Ugh, this sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment